Salary Range: $85,000 – $106,500
Job Type: Exempt, Full Time
Location: ArtWorks Administrative Office, 2460 Gilbert Avenue, Cincinnati, OH 45206
Reports to: CEO & Artistic Director
Start date: ASAP
Now in its 27th year, ArtWorks is an award-winning Greater Cincinnati nonprofit that has pioneered public art and economic impact throughout the region to create community-based public art that provides career opportunities for artists of all ages. ArtWorks works alongside community leaders to build civic pride with art that beautifies the region, creating jobs for more than 300 artists annually, including young artists ages 14-24, to earn a living wage. The economic empowerment and mentorship that ArtWorks provides leads to upward mobility, which is critically important for young people who come from a majority of under resourced and underemployed neighborhoods and households. Since 1996, ArtWorks has employed over 4,000 youth and 3,500 creative professionals. The organization has completed more than 14,000 public and private art works of art, including public sculpture, light-based installations and more than 300 permanent outdoor murals, contributing to the region’s global reputation as an arts destination. Now headquartered in Walnut Hills, ArtWorks is part of the burgeoning arts district in Cincinnati’s historic second downtown. Learn more at artworkscincinnati.org.
ArtWorks seeks a Senior Director of Advancement to lead strategy, planning and execution for successful fundraising and development activities to advance our mission to create community-based public art that provides career opportunities for artists of all ages.
This is an exciting opportunity to impact an amazing organization and support its growth, building on its strategic plan. This role is a core leader in the organization, a member of the senior leadership team and an important face of the organization. This role will direct and grow an advancement department, which currently consists of a department of three full-time positions—Senior Director of Advancement, Director of Development and Development Manager—in addition to a contracted grant-writing service. The role will also work closely with the CEO and board members to build a revenue generating program of $3MM+ annually. Additionally, this role will support closing out the current capital campaign of $9MM which is in the final quarter. This position plans fundraising objectives for the organization, setting 3-year strategic goals. Consistent engagement and outreach efforts will be required to build and sustain new and existing donor relationships.
The ideal candidate will be independent, proactive and love relationship building. This individual will be a key spokesperson and influencer across ArtWorks leadership team and constituents. This role will take strategic leadership and tactical ownership over corporate, foundation, individual, and government funding sources at ArtWorks. She/he/they will be responsible for writing high-quality and compelling correspondence, letters of inquiry, proposals, and supporting review for grants and grant reports for all institutional funders. This role requires a candidate to be mission-loving with a heart for making a tremendous impact on the community, youth, and the arts.
- Serve as key leader in external facing role building relationships and support for growth of organization and to sustain mission
- Serve as a member of the executive leadership team collaborating closely with Board of Directors, Development Committee, Executive Leaders, Directors, Staff, and Volunteers
- Manage, recruit and train Advancement Staff to accomplish department goals
- Research, plan and lead preparation of annual revenue strategies
- Ensure successful implementation of development plan with the highest ethical standards
- Monitor trends in the community and sector to adapt fundraising strategies as necessary; maintain professional fundraising networks for continued learning
- Serve as an ambassador of the organization to donors, attending the organization’s events and cultivation meetings and other community events; build relationships with community leaders and stakeholders
- Create and deliver compelling presentations to help elevate awareness of ArtWorks among key audiences
- Create and collaborate with Finance for an annual revenue budget with supporting strategies and 3-year revenue target with ongoing monitoring and regular updates.
- Lead new revenue initiatives to support growth and sustainability for the organization, including planned giving, in addition to capital fundraising.
- Develop plans to identify, cultivate, solicit, secure and steward gifts; determine and deliver donor benefits
- Set the direction of fundraising events with accountable goals for team
- Set the direction for the corporate sponsorship program with accountable goals for the team.
- Lead identification and cultivation of individual prospects with major gift capacity
- Ensure timely and accurate donor gift acknowledgment and recognition benefits
- Lead the department in setting specific department goals and priorities
Qualifications and experiences:
- Commitment to ArtWorks’ mission, vision, values, culture and Equity, Diversity, Inclusion & Accessibility Plan
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree required in arts administration, marketing, business, or another related field
- Minimum 5 years of professional development experience
- Successful track record of grantwriting and foundation giving
- Experience with capital campaigns and securing major gifts
- Successful track record of managing and developing employees
- Proven ability to build strong working relationships with diverse groups externally and internally
- Experience managing budgets, assigning, and monitoring work, and developing departmental plans in alignment with organizational strategy
- Experience with Event planning and management
- Experience in strategic planning, assessment and evaluation and innovation in fundraising sector
- Must be willing and able to attend evening and weekend arts or community events
Skills and abilities:
- Outstanding verbal and written presentation, communication and marketing skills
- Ability to interact confidently and persuasively with business, individuals and foundations.
- Sophisticated user and interpreter of data; ability to synthesize and analyze data to tell an impact story.
- Balance big picture strategy and manage detailed execution with high degree of accountability and excellence in quality of work.
- Agile leader with strong interpersonal and culture-building skills to help guide and influence organizational growth, building strong positive working relationships both internally and externally.
- Adhere to ethical behavior and business practices; ensure team behavior is consistent with these standards.
- Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of donors to exceed their expectations
- Assess situations to determine priority and make clear recommendations and/or decisions that are timely and in the best interest of the organization.
- Creative, flexible and innovative, with proven ability to design and implement new initiatives.
- Proficiency with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Salesforce as well as proficiency with digital grant making databases, research tools and information management systems.
Competitive salary commensurate with experience. Comprehensive employee benefits package includes health insurance (80% paid by ArtWorks), life insurance with AD&D, ST and LT disability (100% paid by ArtWorks), generous paid time off, up to12 weeks for individual/family leave fully paid, 401k plan with ArtWorks match of 100% on first 4% of salary, 11 holidays and a year-end winter break of 5 days, $25 per month of cell phone reimbursement, and investment in career development. Vision and dental provided at employee cost.
- Be part of an amazing mission and make a mark in transforming the Greater Cincinnati region with public art, building community, and investing in young artists.
- Help build a future home for ArtWorks with a site for permanent art studios, gallery, and event space to build a more vibrant community.
- Be part of a dynamic team that embraces a growth mindset and has fun.
- Be part of a collaborative, creative and flexible work culture that is people centered.
- Join a team that values diversity, equity, and inclusion in community-centered work that creates positive change. Read our full commitment here.
Click here with cover letter, resume and references
ArtWorks is an equal opportunity employer and is strongly committed to building and retaining a diverse team. We believe in creating an inclusive workplace which harnesses each voice to collectively advance ArtWorks’ mission. We encourage applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, LGBTQ+ individuals and other applicants of historically marginalized backgrounds.
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.paylocity.com.